Strategic Human Capital Management
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.Additional Information: The briefing to John and the board of directors was a success. You and Shawn believe that it allowed them to understand the challenges associated with managing global human capital effectively and the value of recognizing human capital as a critical part of AGC’s strategic plan. John and the board of directors gave every indication that they understood the sense of urgency needed to align the key global human capital goals with those established for the entire global organization. In fact, they asked you to move ahead with developing global human capital goals for AGC as part of its strategic plan.
You will begin by evaluating the existing organizational culture and analyzing the leadership styles used at each global AGC subsidiary. The company has several global subsidiaries, each with significant cultural differences. Shawn believes that AGC would benefit from an organizational culture that is more proactive and competitive. Likewise, he believes that leadership development programs should focus on styles that recognize the importance of celebrating diversity, empowerment, and innovation.
Review the AGC scenario for this course and discuss the following with your peers:
Using AGC as an example, what human capital management problems can arise when an organization does not acknowledge cultural differences at its global subsidiaries?
How can leadership styles effect global organizational culture?
Describe a human capital management goal that Shawn can recommend to change the global organizational culture of AGC.
Different leadership style of Shawn and John
In this case study, the leadership style followed by Shawn Williams, the new VP of global human capital management at Atlantis Global Corporation, can be characterised as Transactional leadership style. Shawn has decided to follow a new acknowledgement and prizes programs to enhance the job pleasure of the staff (Riaz & Haider, 2010).
The leadership method, followed by John Dawson, the chief executive officer of the company, can be considered as Strategic leadership. Instead of prioritising the employee job satisfaction and recruiting new talented employee, he is concerned about the financial loss of the business organisation (Carter & Greer, 2013).
Pros and cons of each leadership style:
- Effectively motivate the employees to increase productivity.
- The achievable target for the employee is created by the leader.
- This leadership style eliminates misperception through the sequence of command.
- This leadership style removes individuality from the manufacturing procedure.
- This leadership style is discouraging for the employee’s creativity.
- In this leadership style, more value placed on the efficiency of the employee, which affect the output of the employee.
- This leadership style encourages objective thinking.
- Creates a framework for strategic decision.
- This leadership style supports the concept of unity.
- This leadership focuses on the success and profit of the company.
- Flexibility is difficult in the Strategic leadership style.
- Predicting the future is difficult in this leadership style.
- To manage the problem of the company, this leadership style develops a plan without addressing the current problem.
Own leadership style:
Transformational leadership style can be followed by me. As this leadership style shares the vision of the company with the employee to motivate them. This initiative by the leader will develop an ambience, where the employee will be excited to deliver their best effort for the benefit of the business organisation. The leader will be empathetic, self-aware, humble and authentic.
END OF PREVIEW