Social and Environmental Reporting
What am I required to do in this assignment?Parkinson (1993) defined the concept of ‘corporate Governance’ as “processes of supervision and control (of “governing”) intended to ensure that an entity’s management acts in accordance with the interest of its constituents”. Cadbury (1992) proposed a simpler working definition of this concept, it’s “the system by which companies are directed and controlled”.
“Corporate governance codes and guidelines were issued in many countries following a spate of corporate scandals throughout the late 20th and into the 21st century. One common feature of these scandals was that those controlling the company, the directors, were perceived to have failed to act in the best interests of shareholders leading, in many cases, to the eventual collapse of the company…The aim of the codes seems to be to prevent too much control being exercised by particular individuals (directors) and to support this with both increased transparency (particularly in terms of risk disclosure), and strengthening of the external audit function” (Gray et al., 2014, p.260).
- critically summarize the theoretical framework of corporate governance by highlighting its different mechanisms and approaches
- critically analyze how the board of directors and the external audit could contribute to achieving companies’ sustainable development
- select any corporate governance report and critically analyze how it aims:
- to create trust and engagement between companies and their investors (shareholders)
- to create trust and engagement between companies and the wider community (stakeholders)
|Maximum 2000 words
|What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
|· To carry out a critical literature review on corporate governance
· To analyze the role of the board of directors and the external audit in achieving a company’s sustainable development
· To analyze how the selected report on corporate governance tries to create trust and engagement between directors, shareholders and stakeholders in order to contribute to the long-term success of the business
|How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
|Assignments attracting the highest marks will be focused, analytical and evidenced thoroughly. Presented professionally, make sure your submission is discursive, and analytical throughout and draw on a good range of quality academic sources – especially up to date academic journals – not spurious web-based sources. You should reference properly throughout.You will attract marks for good, critical analysis. Organize your work and communicate professionally. Please ensure your submission is all your own work. Do not rely on internet searches. Do not use ‘essay’ sites.
In summary, to achieve the highest marks you will need to clearly describe, evaluate and critically analyze. The assignment needs focus and to provide a clear narrative, which is argued and evidenced well. It is not enough to present a series of facts, discoveries and description – however well researched. Try to generate good academic discussion and avoid presenting findings as a series of bullet points. You will need to go further than just describing what has been happening in Corporate governance field.
|How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
|The assignment will enhance your understanding of the relationship between corporate governance, sustainable development and corporate performance.