Opportunity Discovery (OD) Report
The Opportunity Discovery (OD) report builds on Assignment 1: Elevator pitch summary and Assignment 2: Value proposition. In Assignment 1, you identified a problem or gap in the market and discussed how you might address that gap by providing a solution—factoring in the impact of the competition and how your solution may be profitable. With Assignment 2, you developed a value proposition that outlined how your proposed solution creates additional value for your targeted market.Specifically, you are required to produce a formal business report that analyses a business model for the solution or the idea you have worked on in your first two assignments.
Based on the template of the Business Model Canvas, your analysis should also draw from the literature (e.g., business model and platforms) to justify your arguments and conclusions.
Opportunity Discovery report will focus on offering a solution to the problem by directly applying the concepts covered throughout the unit. It’s imperative that when you prepare your report you’re not merely discussing or restating the theory, but instead showing your understanding by applying the theory to address the challenge or problem you have described.
The report is most likely to involve testing the problem, as well as the solution.
Related learning outcomes
This assignment assesses the following unit learning outcomes:
- Apply coherent and advanced knowledge concepts, techniques and tools in regards to discovery and development of entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Apply the fundamentals of entrepreneurship to develop business skills and apply for customer development.
- Critically analyse business models in startup development and develop skills in building business models.
The Opportunity Discovery report must be presented as a formal business report. You should provide an Executive Summary at the start of the report. If you wish, you could put your Business Model Canvas and other supporting materials (e.g., customer or solution testing) in Appendices, which will not be included in your word count. These additional documents may help your readers see the iterations of your idea.Marking Guide
Your submission will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Structure and logic of report (business model, cohesion, logic, nine elements outlined, use of images, figures, diagrams, executive summary, and conclusion)
- Content knowledge (validation by tests, Blue ocean methodology, financials)
- A critical analysis (theory-based analysis)
- Information literacy (referencing, evidence of research)
Written communication (formal business report)