Medication Regimen of Jolene Essay
|Assessment Name||Case study|
|Goal||In your future role as a nurse or midwife you will be required to interpret and use contemporary drug therapy information and evidence to support patients or the pregnant woman in the quality use of medicines. You will interpret and use evidence to inform evidence based and responsive practice when managing a medication regimen.|
|How will I be assessed||5-criterion grading scale using the rubric provided|
|Presentation requirements||This assessment task must: |
· Be a written academic case study containing headings
· Times New Roman, size 12, 1.5 line spacing
· Use of Harvard referencing mandatory
· Be submitted in an electronic format as a PDF document via SafeAssign
|What you need to do||1. Review the Task 3 clinical case study |
2. Describe the pathophysiological concepts related to the case
3. Apply principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics to explain how the medications work and interact with the human body.
4. Relate the drug mechanism of action to main side-effects of the drug and, discuss benefits, risks and management of adverse reactions using person-centred approaches.
5. Use an evidence-based argument and justification of decisions with coherent written expression and presentation.
6. Reference the writing using the style conforming to Harvard referencing style used at USC.
|Suggested Format||Introduction (100 words) |
Briefly outline the main concepts identified in the case study
Describe the relevant pathophysiology evident from the case (500 words)
Use your understanding of the physiological processes to explain the clinical presentation of the case study
Discuss the medications from the case and relate their mechanism of action (600 words)
Using appropriate drug therapy references describe the effects of the drug therapy on the person described in the case study.
Describe your prioritised interventions for the case (700 words)
Use your clinical reasoning to prioritise necessary person-centred interventions. Relate the interventions to addressing clinical issues related to the drug therapy regimen described in the case.
Use evidence from scholarly health literature to support and justify your discussions and interventions. (Intext references are included in the word counts. The reference list is not included in the word count. The word count leniency is +/- 10%)
Conclusion: (100 words)
Briefly recount the key concepts discussed in the case study response. Make a strong statement that reiterates the clinical reasoning of your case study response. Avoid repeating the introduction in past tense.
|Resources needed to complete task||· Task 3 Assessment guide |
· NMBA Registered Nurse Standards of Practice
· NMBA Midwife Standards for Practice
Jolene is now 35 and still living in Dalby with Jack. The farm is not doing so well due to the drought. Jolene has had to help on the farm for the past 2 years. About 18-months ago she had a motorbike accident that resulted in a compound fractured tibia and fibula and a blunt force head trauma.
The fractures were surgically repaired with pins and plates. Jolene has recovered from the orthopaedic surgery and is now fully mobile but does experience leg pain and surgical site discomfort at times.
About 3-months after the surgery Jolene returned to the emergency department with extreme chest pain and dyspnoea. During that admission she was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolus and DVT. She remains on anticoagulant medication.
About 12-months ago Jack found Jolene disorientated on the veranda. He called the ambulance. While being transported to the emergency department Jolene had a tonic-clonic seizure lasting 3-minutes. The physician at the hospital diagnosed traumatic epilepsy related to the motorbike accident and prescribed medication to treat the condition.
Now Jolene is at the GP clinic for a follow-up appointment. Her protracted recovery has contributed to her feeling depressed. The GP had previously prescribed medication and other therapies for the depression. However, today’s visit from Jolene is because she believes she is pregnant. The GP has estimated that Jolene is in the first trimester of confinement.
You are the clinic nurse/midwife.
Review the medication regimen of Jolene.
Write an academic essay that includes discussion of the following points.
1. Application of pathophysiological concepts
2. Application of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics to explain how medications work and interact with the human body.
3. Relate the drug mechanism of action to main side-effects of the drug and, discuss benefits, risks and management of adverse reactions using person-centred approaches.
4. Evidence-based argument and justification of decisions, coherent written expression and presentation
Referencing style conforms to Harvard referencing style used at USC