Foundations of Nursing Practice
Longer lives are a positive outcome of advances in improved nutrition, healthcare and medications. Increasing longevity, however, can have significant implications for the health care needs of the older person, as ageing can cause a decline in health and functioning, with many health conditions, and associated impairments.A diversity of clinical placements provide care to our ageing population, including aged and residential care (with both high and low care in these settings), dementia care, rehabilitation and/or placement within a hospital or multipurpose health service. This semester you will be attending clinical placement and for many of you this may be your first experience into aged care.
This assignment requires you to write an essay discussing the implications for nursing care for a patient with one of the degenerative conditions associated with ageing listed below.
- Parkinson’s disease
- Dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease)
- Chronic cardiac failure
- Chronic respiratory failure
- Discuss the issues associated with this degenerative condition, (for example, confusion, deteriorating mobility etc.)
- Explain how the condition affects the older persons’ ability to perform their activities of daily living
- Consider the implications for patient safety that should be considered in the development of nursing care plans for patients suffering from this condition (consider basic, patient centred nursing care and communication requirements)
|Course Learning Ojectives||CLO 1. Implement the principles of infection control, holistic nursing assessment, and nursing care to support activities of daily living.
CLO 3. Understand the basic principles of human development across the life span and adapt basic care, communication, and assessment techniques accordingly.
CLO 6. Apply the principles of a person-centred approach when practicing basic nursing skills.
|Submission||Submit your assignment through the submission link on Study Desk. The assignment will be submitted through “Turnitin” for text matching and plagiarism detection.|
|Presentation||Use the following points for your assignment. Penalties will apply if these conventions are not adhered to.
1. You are expected to present your assignment in a scholarly fashion i.e. academic writing conventions.
2. Submit your assignment in Word format.
3. Use Times New Roman or Arial, size 12 font.
4. Include an introduction and conclusion in your assignment.
5. Do not use headings.
6. In-text citations are required. Reference according to USQ APA 7th ed (https://www.usq.edu.au/library/referencing/apa-referencing-guide). Reference list is NOT included in your word count.
7. Do NOT attach marking rubric to assignment.