Develop an Operational Plan Scenario
Scenario: You have been seconded to manage a team in another business area that undertakes work very similar to that of your current team. Your new team has been without a manager for several months and performance/productivity and morale are low. During your six month secondment your role is to re-operationalise the team and achieve agreed performance standards. Using the method of your choice, formulate a comprehensive operational plan including the following:• Rationale: Explain your reasons for selecting the approach you have chosen for your plan, describing why it is suitable for the situation and what approval you will need.
• Defined Goals and general strategies to achieve the agreed performance standards – include Key Performance Indicators
• Actions and Milestones: Create a summary of the major tasks or sub-projects. Outline the schedule and any timeline dependencies.
• Supportive Documents: instructions for necessary technology and software to be used, relevant documents and procedures and an indication of how the plan fits within the activities of the wider organisation e.g.: other departments.
• Communication and Consultation: Develop a communication and consultation plan (who needs to know what; when and how). This should include approval requirements from relevant parties.
• Resource Requirements: Explain the resources you will require (financial and otherwise) and justify your use of resources with particular reference to any existing budgets or budgeting processes (including approvals). Create a Resource Request document/proposal that shows you have researched resource options to support your proposal.
• Human Resource Requirements: Provide strategies to ensure that employees are recruited and/or inducted within the organisation’s human resources management policies, practices and procedures
• Monitoring and Review: Describe how you would monitor and review the performance of the plan. This must include:
o how you would address performance issues;
o monitoring financial budget vs actual profit and productivity.Recommend actions to address financial and/or other issues of under-performance. Include these as part of the actions and milestones described earlier.
• Contingency/Risk Management Plan: Develop a contingency plan to minimise any risks that could have negative impacts on your operational plan.