AmLa 80 30 Days: Immigration
Watch the video at: https://vimeo.com/11155073 (48:48m).
Note: there is some strong language in this video. It may not be suitable for viewers of all ages.
|1. Who is Frank George? What is a Minuteman?
2. According to the video, how many undocumented residents live in America today?
3. What countries do most of these immigrants come from? Why does this seem like “common sense?”
4. What are the two sides in the immigration debate?
5. How old was Frank when he immigrated to America? Where did he come from? Why does Frank feel that he and his family are different from immigrants today?
6. Who are the Gonzalez family (Rigoberto, Patti, Armita, Ricardo, Carina, Ariel, Alba)? Which family members are citizens?7. What is there family’s home like? Could you live in a place like that? Why or why not?
8. What is Frank’s opinion of East Los Angeles? Have you been there? Do you agree with Frank?
9. Armita, one of the daughters, is upset because Frank is a “Latino.” What is a Latino? Why would this upset Armita?
10. Armita immediately engages Frank in a discussion. What is her opinion? What is his view?
11. Why does Frank complain about their house?
12. What sport does Armita play? Is she good at it? Explain your answer.
13. What does the father, Rigoberto, do for work? How much does he earn per year?
14. What does Mr. Gonzalez say about his work/his job?
15. When Frank and Armita talk about the situation with undocumented migrants, whose arguments do you agree with?
16. What kind of student is Armita? Her teacher calls her an “inspiration.” Is this good? Why?
17. Why does the teacher call Frank (and the Minutemen) “idiots?” Do you agree?
18. What does the mother, Patti, do to earn money? What is she saving her money for?
19. Why does Frank later say that they are a little bit like family?
20. On Day #12, Armita takes Frank golfing. Frank says she wants to be part of mainstream America. But Frank says she has to face reality. What does this mean?
21. Does Armita get into Princeton University? How does this make you feel?
22. Armita wants Frank to change his views (his opinion). Does Frank change anything?
23. When Frank goes to the candlelight vigil, what is his reaction?
24. When the people chant U-S-A, Frank says “they don’t believe that.” What does he mean?
25. When did Patti and Rigoberto last visit Mexico? Why?26. Frank goes to Mexico to see Rigoberto’s brother, Mario. How does Frank feel when he gets to Mario’s house? What is the house like? How does this house compare with Abuela Evila or Abuelita Chinta’s house?
27. Frank believes that Armita works very hard because of the humble place where she used to live in Mexico. Do you agree? Which one of the children is Armita like from the family in The Distance Between Us: Mago, Carlos or Reyna?
28. Does Frank change his opinion after traveling to Mexico to see where the family used to live? How does he feel about sending the family back to Mexico now?
29. Has Frank actually changed by the end of video? How has he changed? Do you think that Frank has a growth mindset? Why or why not?