Adult Health Practice Assessment
- Experiences with chronic illness and the health care system (e.g. Access, provision and quality of services).
- Experiences of interpersonal encounters with health care staff, and nursing staff.
- Experiences of family involvement in the health care experience.
- Recommendations for nursing care of older adults.
Experiences with the health care system (e.g. Access, provision and quality of services).
- How would you describe your health now? Can you describe any health conditions or complications you have experienced over your life and how they were managed?
- Could you tell me about your most recent experience of visiting the GP, health centre or community nurse?
- How easy was it to firstly make the appointment and secondly to get to the appointment?
- Were you happy with the overall service?
- Can you tell me about any experiences you have had in hospital?
- How did you find the overall experience?
- How would you describe the quality of the services you have experienced?
- Prompt -By this we mean the actual services such as cleanliness, food etc.
- How would you describe the quality of the care you received?
- Prompt – By this we mean the actual “hands on medical and nursing care”
- How would you describe your most recent interaction with the medical staff such as doctors and nurses?
- Did you feel that all the people involved in your health care, were communicating with each other and working together?
- Did you understand what was happening to you?
- Did you feel you had enough information to make decisions about your treatment and care?
- Do you think that the nurses who were looking after you explained everything they were doing clearly?
- Do you think the nurses who looked after you listened to your concerns?
- Is there anything that was done well or anything that could have been done better?
- Have you had a family member or support person with you when you have attended appointments?
- Is this important to you?
- Was your family member or support person involved in the decision making regarding your treatment/ care?
- Were they encouraged to be involved in your care?
- Do you feel the medical and nursing staff interacted in a positive way with your family member/support person?
Recommendations for nursing care of older adults.
- If a student nurse was starting in a hospital or health services, what do you think they need to know and is important in caring for older adults?